Mt Taranaki

Mt Taranaki
Awwwesome!

Monday, October 30, 2006

One thing we love about home education




One of the things I really love about home ed is the ability to tailor lessons and topics into excercises that are both relevant and enjoyable! The kids learn so much more when they are 'into' it and Kelly Tarltons is providing heaps of 'fodder' for lessons!


Today we did stories about sharks- here is the great story Jacob wrote!


If I was a shark I would eat fish. I would swim around looking for food and I would like to eat crayfish, whales, jellyfish, birds, penguins and snapper. Sometimes I might eat dolphins too!


Pearl wrote...


If I was a shark I would change colours so no one could see me. I would hide by rocks and try to catch fish as they swim past. I would carefully sneak up and go SNAP! I would also creep up to jelly fish and go SNAP! I would like to be a shark and I would live in the ocean forever!


For extension I drew some sharks and they had to come up with there own "Sh" words to write inside. Pearl had to choose one word and practice writing it (she chose shiney) and Jacob had to pick 'sh' 2 words to put in a sentence.


This is what he said: 'I went to get some polish so I could make my motorbike shine." Talk about being able to acheive when they are interested! That's a great sentence for Jake who usually say's as little as possible!


We utilised KT's for Tui's maths too and I designed a lesson to help her revise the 4 and 5 x tables based around Kelly Tarltons.


For example: There are 5 people going to KT's.


How much would it be to get in if it cost $6 ea? (5x6=) $8 ea? (5x8=)


If it cost $25 for 5 people that would mean it cost how much per person to get in ( 5x?= 25)


Tui also worked out how much parking would cost at $4 per hour if we parked for 3 hrs, 6 hrs, 8hrs etc and she also had to work out how many fish would be needed to feed sharks and stingrays (for example: 4 stingrays eat 7 fish each. 4x7= ? fish.) A great, practical and fun way of learning multiplication!


They are learning spelling, language skills, maths and more and having a great time doing it!






No comments: